Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: March Cabin Trip, WooHoo

Thursday, March 22, 2007

March Cabin Trip, WooHoo


Play time


Back Porch from the creek.


A buddy just called and wants to take an early trip up to the cabin and with low snow pack this year it should be easy to get in this early.



It is located about seven miles outside the northeast-border of Yosemite NP at about 8'000 ft. It is time to get up there and make sure no bears took up winter residence, happened before, and assess the recent earthquake results and other winter damage. It was about six or seven years ago when the bear broke in, what a mess and a hole in the wall, yes, it came through the wall to get in. We have trailed it for miles in the snow and never have seen it. The cabin has historic significance serving as the baker's cabin for the miners and shepherds in the area around the turn of the last century.


The old oven still functions well


The movie "The High Plains Drifter" was filmed about 20 miles southeast at Mono lake and the Historic ghost town of Bodie is just to the north of that. In fact the creek that flows past the cabin powered the worlds first hydro-electric generator which powered the massive stamp mills in Bodie. Dynamo pond still exists though much smaller and just a trout hole and bald eagle hangout now, alas, I have never had a camera handy when I have seen them there because to watch them rise against the backdrop is breathtaking to say the least.


west from Dynamo pond

view east

It is a step back in time to be there for sure, and in this day and age, a welcome respite.

I need to clean up my photofiles, what a mess they are, ouch.




4 comments:

Goat said...

The side bar pic was taken in the area as well.

Geoffrey Kruse-Safford said...

Wow! Truly beautiful. I have to admit, Goat, I do envy the natural beauty you capture so well. I live on the prairie of Illinois, which has its charms to this upstate New Yorker (I grew up in a Valley, in fact that is what we called our little clutch of hamlets at the confluence of the Chemung and Susquehanna Rivers) who didn't know what a horizon was before moving out here. I have always loved the mountains of the West, however, even though I have only been to California once. BTW, the photo looking east is reminiscent of The Two Towers with a small hillock surrounded by flat plains with mountains in the background. Are you sure that isn't Rohan in the picture? Enjoy the weekend, and watch out for bears.

Goat said...

Well, thank you Mr. Safford for the kind words, yes I do love where I live. I moved out here to play in the Sierra and that I have done and barely scratched the surface. I know John Muir's fascination with this "Range of Light", it took my soul and held it for God to pick up upon my first visit as an atheist in 1980, I was reborn in Colorado's Rockies in '82 on a skitrip with Young Life. The mountains have always held a special place in my heart since reading about our early explorers and that earlt Redford picture "Jedediah Johnson". That is why I learned to trap, track and survive. To wander about His creation has been a true blessing.

Goat said...

Hey, upstate New York has many charms as well, the one part of the country I have not visited is New England. My ancestral home is in Mass., we've been here since 1623 and can't wait to go there and explore a bit.