Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: A Food Meme

Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Food Meme

My friend Gayle tagged me for an old-fashioned recipe meme and hers sounded awesome. I don't normally do memes but since I like good food especially of the down home comfort food variety I will bring you a fruit cobbler recipe that has been in my family for generations and is very easy and delicious. I have only used apples, peaches or blackberries but I am sure some other fruits could be used and since it is proportional it is easily adapted for more or less. Fresh fruit is of course best but I have had good success with dried apples and peaches you just have to boil them a little longer.
These portions will make enough for a typical dinner party.
1 cup each of self rising flower, milk and sugar and 2 cups of sliced fruit or berries.
Boil the fruit in a little water with a dash or two of apple pie spice for 3-4 minutes.( You can add a little sugar for tarter fruits)
Blend the milk, sugar and flour together and pour into a buttered casserole dish.
Carefully spoon the fruit with a little of the juice over the top of the batter in an even layer, DO NOT pour the fruit in or the batter won't rise.
Preheat the oven to 350 and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or untill the batter has risen through the fruit and turned a nice golden brown and serve hot with vanilla or butter pecan icecream.
Simple, no fuss or messing with pie crusts.
Apple pie spice is cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in about equal amounts mixed together if you use whole spices like I do and not preground mixes but be careful or they will overpower the fruit flavors. I grind my own with a mortar and pestal.
I guess I will tag Heidi Ann and Ron because Heidi expressed interest in the comments to a previous post and I know Ron likes to cook.

9 comments:

Gayle said...

As we have peach trees, Goat, I cook a lot of peach cobblers. I'm always looking for a new cobbler recipe to try and yours sounds deligious! I'm going to copy it and print it out for my next cobbler. Thanks!

Oh, I almost forgot. Do I still use apple-pie spice for a peach cobbler? I read it that I do, but I want to make certain. I will be back to check for the answer tomorrow.

Goat said...

Thanks Gayle, yes I do use apple pie spice with peaches just a little less than with apples. Cling peaches are the best and I have a couple trees myself.

Rita Loca said...

This is very similar to an old family recipe we have! I used a lot of dried fruits while living in the jungle, and this cobbler recipe was a favorite.

Goat said...

Hi Jungle Mom, it is such a simple recipe I am not surprised that it is similar to yours, most cobbler recipes are messy and time consuming involving making crusts and lattice work but this one is just plain tasty. What are the differences in yours?

Bob said...

Ahhhh, Dessert!

Up here in Oregon, the blackberry ought to be our State flower, rock, bird, animal, and etc. If you hold still for a few minutes, you'll be covered in them.

Gayle said...

Thanks, Goat. I grow White peaches, but I think it will come out okay. :)

Goat said...

Gayle white and cling peaches are one and the same so yes you will be very happy with the outcome.

Rita Loca said...

Sorry so long in returning! My recipe is:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
Melt butter in pan, cover bottom of pan with fruit. Mix remaining ingredients and spread over fruit. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes.
In the jungle I used canned or dried fruits. I have even made it with mango.

Goat said...

JM it is very similar but no need for the baking powder if you use self rising flour, I use Bisquick. Hmm, mangos would be good might have to give them a try. Baking is one of my forte`s I just don't like the mess.