Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Time To Grow

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Time To Grow

No, not the federal deficit, our garden, we got it all planted this weekend with maybe a few things to stick in around the edges. We have okra, green beans(Kentucky Wonder pole beans of course), three kinds of squash, broccoli, carrots, radishes, some herbs and most important, tomatoes. We have two heirloom varieties, German Queen and Pink Brandywine and a good standby hybrid Betterboy. I am very interested in how this German Queen produces, from what I have read it puts out huge, tasty, beefsteak slicers which this household loves.

I also got all my birdfeeders and birdbath set up and already have birds coming to visit them. I actually have more species here to visit than I did in California, out there I only had three or four species and here it will be around a dozen or more including the same ones I had out there except for hummingbirds.

3 comments:

The Griper said...

call me when those tomatoes get nice and large and green yet. a meal of good fried green tomatoes sounds awfully good right now.

Gayle said...

We've been busy doing the same thing, Goat. Tomatoes, cantaloupe, okra, several types of squash, sweet corn, watermellon, a variety of peppers including Jalepeno. The onions and Brocoli are already in and harvested. I love broccoli, but it doesn't love me. I haven't got the birdfeeders up yet though. You've got me beat. :)

Trader Rick said...

I think the smaller tomatoes are better for frying...