Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Home Vacation

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Home Vacation


Ten Days off work has traditionally had this mountain goat playing in the desert or the mountains on some serious climbing foray or driving across the country to be with family for Christmas. This year found the Goat at the Barnyard, my home as it finally feels like such after two and a half years having accomplished all my goals for the year plus some; new roof, new wiring, new space-age insulation, new exit plumbing and wood burning stove. The stove really improved a rather cold, impersonal feeling house since the Barnyard still lacks livingroom furniture, thanks to Mom and a friend of hers there at least some cool pictures on the walls, plus a few of mine.

It's actually been an enjoyable experience, and the Barnyard is getting prepped for the spring bloom with lots of pruning, weeding and tilling yet to do, a labor of love. I am also prepping to put in a new shop building from which to build my own company. I am tired of making other people rich and paying deadbeats' salaries with my labor.

It has been an eventful year with the passing of the boss and owner of the best shop I have worked for, the exposure and removal of deadweight and flakes, the completion of large involved contracts, and now the final closing days of a thirty-five year old company. It was a Sacramento cornerstone of a tight knit guild of craftsmen and artisans and the Barnyard intends to carry that tradition forward. All the designers, builders, contractors and architects that we have worked for are asking where I am going to go so I can continue to do their work for them, these are some really big names in NoCal and I am very proud to deliver for them and their demanding clients.

This is a dream come true and placed in my lap, in many ways like a newborn infant with all its human qualities, mine to develope and grow, learn from and teach through. If you have ever dealt with serious designers and their clients you may know the comparison with infants is not so far fetched as it may seem, developing a long working relationship takes time and their fickleness cannot be matched, I gotta luv'em though. The way I see it, as long as it is safe and to code I will do it, I don't have to live there or like it as long as the client is happy.

Clients can be put on a 1-5 scale with one being a grumpy goat/picky snoot wanting perfection overnight, five being a joy to work for, decisive, friendly and expecting professional work while allowing time for it. My goal is to turn the ones into fives, it works that way in the pocketbook as well, turning over in referrals. I do have a couple years sales training with one of the oldest and most successful direct sales companies in America making sales manager before going back to my trade. I love Zig Ziglar and Dale Carnegie, they teach you everything you need know to succeed.

There is no secret formula other than personal drive and a commitment to your client, being polite, honest, wellspoken, knowledgable and at least as clean as your trade/profession lets you be. I have been working in the homes of the flaky uppercrust of our society for a couple of decades now and have seen it all from awful to neat to awesome and as I pick up that infant, the size of the shoes becomes apparent. I have some growing to do but I know I am being lead by the surest Hand there is, for without Him this blessing would not be so clear and my full thanks goes to Him. He does reward those that keep their heads up even as the going gets rough and work hard to maintain that grasp on His hand while working hard to better themselves and their families' lives.

He shoved me to the bottom of the barrel and it has been a long climb out though a joyful one as I had a Partner to lend me His strength, light and warmth at the darkest times and Hope and guidance when the trail was unclear. Wisdom is the gift of a life of hard hits and disapointments and the lessons learned, faith is getting up time and time again knowing Christ alone will be at your back. He helps those that help themselves and thank Him for the lessons(failures) and blessings(successes) for they both make us stronger in faith.

No comments: