Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: A Meander

Friday, December 29, 2006

A Meander


Some lesser-goldfinch enjoy some thistle seed while hanging out in the Barnyard.
There has been been four new visitors for a bite or bath in the few days I have been home, a varied thrush, some juncos , a ruby crowned kinglet and an oak titmouse. The thrush and titmouse were new additions to my list of yard sightings. The Barnyard being a clearing in a rural forest/ orchard, two sections are left unraked and I spread lawn clippings there as well so there are ample worms and bugs about, big nightcrawlers. It is not unusual to have ten or twelve species foraging at one time, at the feeder or scratching about in the leaves or bare ground. Though the the Barnyard does not support the World Wildlife Fund for their far left views, some of their ideas are held so my yard meets their habitat guidelines for songbirds. The Barnyard is dead smack in the center of the California Flyway migration route so as time passes and the feeding or winter layover stops will increase as it becomes remembered and noticed by keeping the locals happy . The water station is right out of my kitchen window under the old plum so I can get really close views and my hummingbird feeders are very visible from windows. My plantings are aimed towards hummers and butterflies as well and the vegetable garden is left to rot which the robins, sparrows and myrtle warblers love.
The birds definately add color and life to the gray, fog-ridden winter days that are so prevalent in these parts. The views of the sierra's in their winter lace when the fog clears make life even sweeter, the sunsets on the rice paddies with clowds of migrating fowl and the crystal range as a backdrop can make the soul melt in the sheer beauty of His Grace.
This is my vacation so I will get back to politics as usual after the first of the new year, I am just enjoying myself with life until then, taking care of winter chores and cooking some good food. Some of the time has been spent stocking the ammunition shed of political thought with the high powered rounds of Originalist thinkers throughout the conservative movement. The Barnyard is ready.
Sidenote: I hope the Hatter can find her way to the updated site, and I made a brief foray into forbidden territory the OReilly message boards on a lark as the ghost of the Goat and had some fun till the staff caught me, banned as I am.

No comments: