Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard

Thursday, February 09, 2006


There are times when I just want to go on a rant and have to calm myself with pictures and dreams of simpler times. Sometimes I just wish I could head to the cabin and become a true hermit sealed from the demands of modern life and left with merely the struggle to survive in solitude as the mountain men of old free from the demands of society and lost in the beauty of just living. I guess I was born a few centuries too late.
The mountain in the background of both pictures is Dunderburg, a summit view I posted a few a days ago. The first shows a portion of "Dynamo" pond which powered the first hydro-electric dam in america that ran the stamp mills in Bodie Ca. during its gold boom days. It was a classic lawless frontier town and is now a state historic site and ghosttown. It is easy while exploring there to close your eyes and imagine and hear the gunfights and the tinkling of pianos from the many saloons and bordellos, to smell the opium drifting from the flophouses and feel the history as it invades the senses.
------
And for a good laugh, Karen is always on time.

No comments: