Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Weekend Rambler

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Weekend Rambler

An interesting day for me on the religious front, I have a regular visitor from the local Jehovah's Witness organization, not church. He is a nice guy and knows his job as a JW well and since I am always open to Bible talk, I am polite and chat with him and he stopped by again today. Later, Frank Pastore's latest article at Townhall was posted on "Mormonism: Religion, Denomination or Cult?" in it he also mentioned the JWs as a cult of Christianity as he does the Mormons. An ex-JW agreed and linked to a site from other ex-JWs, Free Minds, so I had to check it out. What I found out is why I called it an organization not a church and now I know how to witness Christ's Salvation to my door knocking friend, that it is open and inclusive to all that believe, not a select few, for Christ died for all of us so that we may Live and that I must gently lead him from the Watchtower. I am the last person their leaders would want in their 'Bible study' as an anti-authoritarian, slightly heretic, free thinker that has read extensively on questions of faith and dogma from Nitzsche to Pope Benedict and was reborn in Christ through intellectual insight rather than emotional search or man's dogma. Christianity does not seek to control or threaten, it seeks to teach the Word of God, it seeks to bring salvation and hope to all that seek His word, not man's doctrine. I work hard, play hard, and pray hard and believe with all that I am and can witness that once you truly believe and let Him in to your soul and take your sin upon Himself, you do your best not to sin . He is there to help, its not a license to sin but a barrier against it as you do not want to increase His burden. Moseanic Law as spelled it out in the Torah lays out what sin is quite clearly and I am a sinner without a doubt and I will have Christ at my side when I cross St. Peter's gate. How do I know this? It's called faith, not religion, and the Bible tells me so. Believe in Christ the Son, worship The Holy Father and be filled with The Holy Spirit. I guess you could call me a pre-church Christian/Jew in my view of the Bible's teachings as a former atheist.

PS: Frank's article was about Mitt Romney's Mormon religion, frankly, it concerns me little as a Christian conservative. I like Mitt's ability to do the job given him and he is very coservative or the Mormons would disown him. Frank could vote for Mitt and so could Richard Land, head of the Southern Baptists.

3 comments:

Trader Rick said...

Here in the Dogyard, we admire the LDS church for their missionary work and their TV commercials--we don't see other denominations witnessing and reaching out quite like that...

Goat said...

They are good and decent folks and do tons of good work for their communities. I disagree with their doctrine and history but that does not stop me from working with them to further shared values. I too enjoy their commercials and enjoy the chats when they stop by.

Goat said...

What do you think of Mitt then Rick?