Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: 2008 Potential Republican Candidates

Friday, March 10, 2006

2008 Potential Republican Candidates

Every time I turn a discussion to who the nominee will be in 2008 on the Republican side, I hear names that I know simply can not win. These include Condoleeza "I don't know how many ways to say no in this town" Rice, Rudy "I’m pro-choice. I’m pro-gay rights." Giuliani, and John "Most Republicans call me by my nickname, 'RINO,' McCain.

None of these people have a chance in the current system of primaries which are dictated by party loyalists. If the primary process was abolished and we went right to a general election after somehow nominating a candidate, all three would stand a very real chance of victory. However, as it stands, they haven't a chance in Hell.

The other potential players who may bore us to tears:
Mike Huckabee
Sam Brownback
Bill Frist
Newt Gingrich
Chuck Hagel

None of these men have the entire package. In fact, few have any of the core attributes which create a sense of a relationship between the voter and candidate. Where does that leave us? Well, this is going to be an extremely unique situation as it is with this being the first presidential election since 1952 where neither the current president or VP was running. So, let me add to the uniqueness of the race by predicting that Mitt Romney of MA will wind up in the winner's circle.

Obviously Governor Romney's Achilles heel will be his devout Mormonism. However, he has so much else going for him that if, with the help of his long time friends, the Bushes, he can win over the southern evangelicals, he will be unstoppable. He has looks and charm that play incredibly well on television. He is a great speaker. He is off the charts intelligent holding a MA and JD from Harvard. He has internal support in the party. He can sell his successes in a hostile MA as an ability to unite to solve problems. I don't believe the man has ever met a deficit in his life that he didn't turn around. For all of these reasons and many, many, more, I predict it's going to be Willard, aka Mitt, Romney in 08.

No comments: