Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Weekend Rambler

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Weekend Rambler


Ah, I love spring as it turns California into a lush colorful landscape after the dead browns of summer and fall and the dreary foggy rain of winter. I could not live in Seattle or London though in the foggy mist the rolling hills do take on a celtic resemblance. My bonnie bells and wild iris are blooming as are my plums, peaches, cherries and nectarines and my citrus trees are heavy with fruit. I really felt blessed as I toiled in the yard today, cleaning up my annual plots, and tending to my perennials, the songbirds were in full voice and serenaded me in my work. The recent storms even took out a branch on a neighbor's olive tree that I wanted to cut off and was added to the woodshed, olivewood burns good and hot. It is still to wet to drop a couple yards of compost on the veggie plot and till it in though it is about time to plant early crops like snow peas, sugar snaps, carrots , early potatoes , corn and spinach.
I have so many projects and things to get done it seems daunting, I never thought owning a house, a very small one with a bit of land, could be so much work and I grew up on a working farm. Oh well, I ain't complainin' caus' its mine and a great investment, 25% per year so far. It is a fairly quiet, country burrough where kids still ride their bicyles around safely, good ole boys clean their deer hanging from a tree in the frontyard, 4x4 trucks are the most common vehicle, roosters crow, horses whinny and an occassional Stars and Bars is still seen, may I remind you I live just outside Sacramento, Ca.. San Francisco does not represent us, that is a foriegn country along with LA to the rest of the Golden State.
Friends of mine that are life long residents of the area cannot believe the amount of renovation and construction going on. I just started a job in a mansion and the initial phase involves a powder room, two closet doors, and a built in china cabinet that is $25,000 in glass and mirrors and this is a three story house with ten bathrooms, I will be there for months. I love rich people. I have worked with most of the individual contractors on other jobs so it is a pleasant worksite with all the yahoos and inside jokes and war stories from other sites. This is my kind of job, big, involved and with great folks around that know their trades.
Speaking of knowing their jobs, I will have a round up of milbloggers reax to the recent Zogby poll and some very surprising opinions on Dubai , DPW and our ports up tomorrow, along with just some great stuff from our boots on the ground in Iraq and Afganistan. I jumped the gun on my earlier condemnation of the ports deal, now that I studied it a bit I remain a tad leery but think the deal should go through, but more on that tomorrow. Have a great saturday evening and God Bless!

No comments: