Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: I Say It Again, Mitt Is Going to be Our Guy in '08

Monday, September 11, 2006

I Say It Again, Mitt Is Going to be Our Guy in '08

I have been saying this for two years, minimum, and to be fair, I have the inside scoop over here but I just wish people would start listening to the more experienced. It is NOT Giuliani. It is NOT McCain. It IS Mitt Romney. I've also tried in vain to explain to other cyberteers that regardless of polls, at this point in time, a serious candidate does not want to be out here, well known and in the lead. It is suicide. Bill CLinton polled near the bottom in the early stages of the game in the 90s and voila--Swamp Thing took over. Why? He is a great strategist and knows what he's talking about.

Here are some quotes from the Romney article but it is worth a full read via the link.

"“When I talk to each of the presidential candidates, every one of them brings up Romney — unsolicited — because they’re all focused on him as the smartest, toughest guy in the race,” Norquist said last month."

"From a conservative perspective, Romney is indeed tough on immigration (he opposes a guest-worker program until the borders are secured), gay marriage (he wants a constitutional ban) and national security (he generally supports President Bush’s Iraq policy). "

“It bothers me no end that the term polygamy keeps being associated with my faith,” says Romney... “There is nothing more awful, in my view, than the violation of the marriage covenant that one has with one’s wife...“The practice of polygamy is abhorrent, it’s awful, and it drives me nuts that people who are polygamists keep pretending to use the umbrella of my church…My church abhors it, it excommunicates people who practice it, and it’s got nothing to do with my faith.”"

"“I’m, first, deeply committed to the principle of the family being the foundation of our society,” he says. “I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart for 37 years. We have five children, nine grandchildren.”

Should Mitt Romney join a 2008 race that included John McCain, Rudy Giuliani, Newt Gingrich and George Allen, the only guy in the GOP field with only one wife would be the Mormon, quips Kate O’Beirne of National Review.
As for McCain, “There’s nothing I’d like better than seeing someone else out there as the front-runner,” he says. “Back in 1968, my dad was the front-runner and he lost.”


(Goat adds, the real debates will be between Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney for the GOP nomination hopefully with both on the ticket. They articulate their message better than any other politician alive today with real solutions to real problems that they are not afraid to confront or seek to cover up. Hatter turned me on to Mitt when we were still in Bill O'Reily's forum three years ago and he is The Man in my book for '08, with Newt as VP. Newt's "Winning The Future" is an awesome slogan to campaign on and he lays it out in detail in his book of the same title.)

No comments: