Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: The Garden Page

Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Garden Page

My amarylli are starting to bloom! This one is the most advanced and they seem very happy

About six hours later, mine are doing very well this year, tallest stalks ever with several doubles.These blossoms will be 8 inches across and last for weeks, a great find actually planted in what I was mowing as yard, dug up and transplanted a half dozen large bulbs and this is the third Spring bloom. I put them in my North side garden and they love it.
My gladiolus are going gang busters as well though to early for flowers with lots of dividing work coming, I have 10-20 differ rent colors so it should be dazzling. All my begonias are coming back strong as well, they are perennial here, even one left dry and stuck in the woodshed came back from bone dry dirt. I do need to set up a cacti garden as well, cacti have some awesome color and beauty when they bloom.
I am blessed with being in one of the best growing zones in the US

5 comments:

Trader Rick said...

I have a real problem telling whether or not my plants are happy or sad. I guess I need to spend more quality time with them and bond...
Just messing with you.
BTW Alabama is really looking to surprise people this year in football-do they have to play the Gators? oops just can't seem to stop messing with you. Thompson-Hunter '08

WomanHonorThyself said...

send some over my way eh?..smiles

Gayle said...

You certainly are blessed! It's very hard to grow flowers much later than late spring here in Central Texas. It's too hot! Cactus flowers are pretty though, and we have plenty of those, we just don't make flower arrangements out of them. :)

Goat said...

Thank You ladies! I have a fifty year old yard that was owned by an avid gardener and new bulbs have emerged and bloomed almost every year since I moved here. These were an awesome find, I knew they were something but had know idea how glorious they would be. I just provide the water and grow juice. I am a fan of bulbs and a staggered blooming period. I prefer perennials to annuals and still have much to do, gotta get some azaleas and cammelias(sp) planted as well.

Goat said...

Rick, no need to talk just water and fertilizer makes them happy. Who is the Tide's coach now, it has been such a 'Russian Roulette' wheel of late?