Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Its Wild Out There

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Its Wild Out There




I have a big bird feeder right off my patio that I keeped stocked with sunflower and thistle so I have a very healthy songbird environment in my yard. Anyway I happened to be watching today as a chicken hawk aka, Cooper's Hawk swept in and took a goldfinch. Pretty cool as that was natural predation unlike stray/outdoor cats, I havaheart trap them or shoot them. I love cats but I really wish people wouldn't let them roam free, outdoor cats have a life span of only a very few years while an indoor cat can provide many years of the joy of having a cat or cats can bring. I have raised a couple great cats from kittens and my buddy Holecat had to be put down at 18 while Speckles, 4 yrs younger, is on course to outlast him and both have been house cats. Heck the couple times Holecat did shoot the door gap he got roughed up pretty good and stopped trying.


Spring is in full bloom out here in in the Sacramento Valley with all the orchards dressed in their whites and pinks and the wildflowers starting to pop on a beautiful Easter Sunday. Today my prayers go out to all those in the Midwest that have been hammered by flooding and late snowstorms.

3 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Haven't visited much, but Happy Easter to ya.

Trader Rick said...

Actually, it's spring everywhere in the northern hemisphere, but we here in Indiana can't tell by looking outside--I'm looking for some green to appear this week tho...hopefully!
I'm on the lookout for our nesting pair of sparrow hawks to return.

Gayle said...

Happy Easter, Goat! Sorry I didn't get here sooner, but I've been extremely busy.

I love cats too and hate to see them roaming wild. They make truly wonderful housepets. I love the pictures. I'm a very visual person. :)