Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: I Hurt That I Can't Do More

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I Hurt That I Can't Do More

The blogospere has joined forces and is informing folks the best groups to contribute to for Katrina relief. Hugh Hewitt has all the links of course, I am sitting here blogging about it because I feel so helpless to do more.When I detail the level of disaster and show my Ca. cohorts the pictures they are floored, they figured it was just another hurricane in the gulf. After a string last year they were news numb, so-to-speak completely unaware of the devestation in Katrina's wake. I saw it coming sunday and am one of those wierdos that is fascinated by storms, I started watching it about 7:00 am pt. sunday and knew this was coming, though I don't think many outside us weather wackos understood the breadth and power of this storm. I clicked on the radar images and my heart truelly went out then, I saw what was coming, this was a massive supra-powerful storm. I listened to about 10 hrs of streaming news from NO begging people to flee while scanning hundreds of reports and hurricane info pages while watching it creep closer via sattelite,while watching people playing on the beach in Gulfport, ignorant or stupid. Gulfport is all but removed from the map now as are so many towns along the US90, many are gone, flattened into heaps of wind and wave tossed debris. One coworker asked what the piles of lumber were from, I said "destroyed houses and businesses", he said "no way, your kidding". Another made some crass loony lib statement and came back and apologized this morning and said he was sending cash.
I saw today that about 15 countries have offered and pledged aid

"Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.
Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has offered the U.S. hundreds of doctors, nurses, experts in trauma and natural disasters, NBC News has learned. Sharon has also offered field hospitals and medical kits as well as temporary housing and told Bush in a letter that the medical assistance and other help could be deployed within 24 hours. "

I should have included Israel with Australia and England, with a few surprises on the list as well,OPEC and Venezuela.

3 comments:

Goat said...

I would put the estimate below 4000,God Bless it could have been that scenario Sheepdog.

Goat said...

To be honest though Sheepdog there are probably only 25 countries that have anything to offer of any usefullness

Goat said...

Those were worst case estimates of a cat4 or cat5 with a direct full strength landfall on NO.I saw the same models .