Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Meanwhile Back Here In The States

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Meanwhile Back Here In The States

Mike Totten is headed to a Fallujah that is largely peaceful now and his business and sometime travel partner, Patrick Lasswell has a run in with a shotgun wielding maniac here at home. I am thinking that in some neighborhoods that are gang infested a COIN based policy could be followed and be very effective.

While running around in my PJ's armed exclusively with a flashlight, telephone, and civic virtue, my libertarian interest in keeping the police from having military weapons died of exposure. When the the kook drove by and kept pointing his lights at my position, I was all for the 911 operator getting access to laser armed satellites or police helicopters with precision guided munitions. The notion that patrol cars might have AR-15 rifles onboard seemed prudent, not an infringement. All apologies to Glenn Reynolds, but I wouldn't choose to face deranged shotgun toting citizens armed only with a pistol, why should the cops? Afterwards, I considered the comforting weight of my Navy Reserve unit's sweet shooting M240 machine guns and how nice it would be to lay the bipod on my driveway while covering the bad guy. Who am I do deny reasonable comfort to even the forceful Portland Police?

I would settle for a Desert Eagle .50 for personal protection in that situation but a combat style shotgun would be nice as well.

2 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

even my 9mm is good enough, when you are trained to use it and have the proper rounds.
But if I were going to pick a perfect self defense weapon for CQB, a Remington 12 guage with 00 buck or an MP5.

Goat said...

Yep, a good ole street sweeper, you can't miss. I keep telling my mom and sister to get one or two they both know plenty about guns to handle a sawed off 12gauge.