Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Iraq News and Views

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Iraq News and Views

Noted war historian Victor Davis Hanson just returned from a trip to Iraq and a whirlwind tour and has a round up posted today in NRO and the final of a three part series at Pajamas Media and is as honest an assesment as you could want. The corner has been turned and the long slow process of rebuilding flush with oil money from the record prices. Prof. Hanson's family are lifelong farmers here in Ca.'s central valley and so he recognizes the also great agricultural richness of Iraq, its not all desert folks, more like California with a vast mix of ecosystems.

Mike Yon has a new dispatch up and he must be bored because most of it old history but good reading just the same, except for the great news about running into a soldier buddy that had gotten shotup in a fire fight Mike witnessed and wrote about.

Michael Totten's Mid-East Journal writes up the best police force in Iraq, in formerly lawless Ramadi and has video on patrol in Ramadi.

Hit their tip jars if you are able and support independent journalism.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great grouping, goat. the three part series was very informative and it's great to see the process of rebuilding has begun. and totten's insite is always worth the time to read.

and oh - i can't wait until it becomes settled enough to take a trip to iraq, afghanastan, and the rest of the region. it will be truly wonderful...

Goat said...

Thanks Heidi, they are voices I can trust. I tihnk I have linked most of Yon's and Totten's posts, independent photo journalism at its best.

Gayle said...

I don't visit Totten very often but I visit Yon a lot. He's great, and it's one place where I know I can get the truth. I have nothing against Totten. He's great too. I wish there were 48 hours in a day instead of 24. :)

Goat said...

Gayle You only need to stop by Totten's about once a week and I have a Yon RSS feed on my sidebar so I know when he has a new dispatch. I am betting Mike Y has a big book deal in the works he has so much more than his sporadic dispatches have reported he has already written one "Danger Close".