Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Must Read Of The Week

Friday, September 21, 2007

Must Read Of The Week

The Death of a Soldier, The Life of a Patriot.

What is a patriot? What is a hero? We throw these words around a lot these days and we bestow them on those who most often don’t come close to warranting the honor. From athletes to artists, dissenters to politicians and movie stars, our society holds some of the most undeserving people in high esteem.

So, what is a patriot? Who really should be designated a hero?

Patriot: A person who loves, supports and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion. – Dictionary.com

Hero: A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. – Dictionary.com

Read it all, I couldn't say it any better so I won't try.

3 comments:

AmPowerBlog said...

That is a real nice article. I like this passage:

"I will not surrender to the visionless where this conflict is concerned. Instead, I will engage them with facts and foresight. I will not give-up on the mission in which Eddie was engaged simply for the pressure to do so. Instead, I will employ the realistic understanding of the consequences of quitting before the mission is through. I will not retreat because it is the popular thing to do, rather I will rely heavily on the truth of the matter, enlisting facts and reason in an effort to make others understand the cost of defeat. And I will not fail."

Thanks for this!

Goat said...

I thought it was a powerful piece as well Don.

Gayle said...

Thanks for linking to that, Goat. Eddie's letter was very touching and exactly right. I wish all the Cindy Sheehans and whiners and complainers like her in this country would read his letter! Of course, they'd poo-poo it. I know that. But perhaps way down deep inside them, in a place they don't even acknowledge, a little bit of it would sink in past all the liberal brainwashing they've been sujected to.

Great post!