Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: GOP Debate Tonight

Thursday, January 24, 2008

GOP Debate Tonight

With the field finally narrowed down from 8-9 to 5 we should get some real fireworks between McCain and Romney and possibly Rudy and Huck with Ron looking like he's been sucking on a lemon and ranting as usual. I wonder if Ron will get any questions about his racist anti-semitic news letters and wacky troofer following. Rudy has everything riding on Florida and has sunk to a distant third in recent polling even after practically living in Florida the last few weeks so he really needs to shine as does Huckabee who is out of money. Mitt just needs to be solid and look presidential as he comes under attack from all three. John needs to come up with some new lines and explain his many recent and angry flip flops on taxes and amnesty as recent as this morning "I have always been for tax cuts except the ones I voted against" not to mention the fifty tax increases he voted for, sounds an awful lot like another John that ran on the other ticket four years ago. A ticket this John considered joining in case anyone forgot.
I will post updates as the debate proceeds.
Update: Here we go Brian and Tim will be moderating and they are usually pretty good and it starts with the stimulus package going through Congress. Mitt goes first. It does not go far enough and should have permanent tax cuts.
John, I am for the cuts I voted against.
Update: Mike makes a good point about infrastructure investment creating jobs and stimulating local economies.
Update: Nobody can say Dr. No is not a fiscal conservative, he votes no on everything.
Update: I would say strong answers across the board with the exception of Dr Paul and his 'empire' talk, strong defense, lower taxes etc. the next part the candidates get to question each other, this should be good.
Update: Dang, no fireworks.
Final update: While I bash McCain, Huckabee, Paul and Giulliani because I am a Romney hack I thought they all gave strong performances. There were no angry exchanges as we see in the DNC race. They were incredibly civil and touted their own records, a plus for the GOP, even Dr. Paul was far more credible than any of the Dems. Mitt withstood some withering questioning from Russert and looked presidential as did Rudy, McCain did fine and so did Mike no gaffes from any of them, except McCain and his tax positions after voting to raise them fifty times.

5 comments:

Trader Rick said...

Can you tell us ONE more time how many times the old guy voted to raise taxes? It bears repeating. What? 50? did you say 50? Alabama is 0-4 in the SEC east. What? not a BB school? OK. How many, again, I forget --50? did you say? Whew! Dr. No is our new man for POTUS, even if he is a little batty. He's the only one who understands the Constitution. That's 50, right? OK, just to make sure. 50.
Yeah, well that's 50 out of how many? Huh? Maybe he voted to LOWER THEM 100 TIMES! Huh? they don't have votes like that? So it stands at what? 50?

Gayle said...

Goat, I watched the Republican debate last night, and as promised, have finally reached a decision. Walt and I both have decided to back Romney.

Goat said...

Welcome to Camp Romney Gayle and Walt!

Gayle said...

Thank you... thank you very much! :)

Tapline said...

Goat, my sister called today and wanted to know if I was going to vote for Ron.....I said,,,,"I don't think so" She is a flaming Democrat, Flaming,,,,,,,When Billy was letting it all hang our. She said well the economy is good.....As I said "Flaming". I did watch the debate and I think they all stretched the truth a Little....At least they spoke to issues not like the other side. I dont think they have any except cut and run.....stay well.....