Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Now There Are Four In The Debate

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Now There Are Four In The Debate

We have our last GOP debate before Super Tuesday tonight by CNN/Politico from the Reagan Library and Mitt really has to make the case that he is the Reagan conservative alternate to McCain. I expect Huckabee to tag team with McCain against Mitt hoping for the VEEP slot and Paul to really scale back his anti-war and weird fiscal policy rants and rail about the Constitution. I don't know why Ron is even on the stage though he does have one distant second and has raised a ton of money. He is a fiscal and social conservative but he is still a nut pulling about 5% of the National vote from conspiracy nuts and anti-semites and an embarrassment to the GOP.
Update: Quite a back drop of Reagan's Air Force One.
Update: I think so far all answers have been good though Mike Huckabee is undoubtedly the smoothest so far.
Update: I thought Romney got the best of the spat with McCain over semantics about the war though I am biased.(From Hot Air)

I think Huckabee used to much time whining about the time given to him and Dr. Paul is what he is, an old crank that really did not deserve to be on that stage. McCain is a smart ass for sure with his snide little remarks not based in truth. He was a leader in the military and a leader for many liberal positions in Congress and in compromising with the Democrats on many issues contrary to the GOP base except on spending and the GWOT.
Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee, the governors, won because they have lead states and effectively though Huck had quite a few ethics problems. I don't think John did himself any favors with is untruthful sniping at Mitt Romney especially in Reagan's Library with his 11th commandment to not speak ill of a fellow Republican.
I will also note that John turned down a tete a tete with Mitt on Meet the Press Sunday that Mitt accepted, I find it unusual for McCain to turn down free media unless he knows he will get taken apart after flip flopping on taxes and illegal immigration. Mitt missed the chance to bring up Juan Hernandez and open borders.
Update: Michelle can type really really fast so she has the best round up from pretty much my perspective on things.
Update: I urge you to read Bryan's comments that accompany the above video.

I really wanted to see two things tonight. I wanted to see Romney take the fight to McCain and earn the front runner spot. That didn’t happen. Romney came off well but I doubt the fundamentals changed. The other thing I wanted to see was some sign that McCain was ready to be a leader and be a less irritating figure than he has been up to now. That didn’t happen either. His “I led for patriotism, not for profit” line is a slap in the face to business. A slap in the face to business, and from the presumptive nominee of the pro-business party? Who does he think he is? And where does he think his own money came from? It came from his wife’s father, who presumably led for profit, not for patriotism.
His dishonest attack on Romney’s war stance, captured above, just signals that he’s the same old McCain.
I’m now in the position of having come around to like Romney. He’s decent, smart and fair and I think he would make a fine president. And I dislike McCain all over again. He’s a smarmy beltway insider who just lied to everyone who was watching while he smeared a good man, flipped on his own awful legislation and belittled free enterprise. This man wants to lead the party of Reagan?
McCain sure has his work cut out for him at CPAC. I don’t want to say that his mission of making peace with the base is impossible, but I won’t argue that it’s not.

McCain is a donkey assed jerk off period.

2 comments:

Papa Frank said...

I thought that Huckabee had the best showing here. All in all though it did not show the Republicans to be clearly superior to the democrats which they had an ideal opportunity to show after the debacle of a democratic debate last week.

Goat said...

Snake-oil salesmen are alwys smooth and polished like Huckster. I do not trust preachermen gone politician and Huck has plenty of ethics problems.