Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com The Barnyard: Something I Need To Learn

Friday, January 11, 2008

Something I Need To Learn


I need to learn how to take good pictures of the night sky as I live aways from city lights in the middle of a huge valley and have a big sky at night. I feel for those folks that live in big cities and have never really seen the night sky. I have been camping in the desert many, many times where we huddled close to a blazing fire and wondered at the incredible immensity of what seemed so close, stars ready for picking as if they were low hanging fruit. I love the high desert and spending time there brings a clarity of thinking, it is you and what engulfs you, a slap or reminder of what you really are just another creature in a quest for survival. You can't help but be in awe of the Glory of God's Creation.


Our night sky is brilliantly mixed with clouds and stars right now, I need to read up on my camera.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

About 5 years ago, when I still lived in San Francisco, I discovered the perfect place to escape to for total peace and quiet: Fort Bragg, California, an upstate coastal town near Mendocino -- the roaring ocean crashing against large rocks 24/7 and the night sky covered with stars that were so clear you could pick out the constellations as though you were looking at labelled photos of them.

I only wish I'd thought to take some pics back then.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

I am heading out of town for a short vacation at a place called Phillip Island, there too the night sky can take one's breath away. The vastness, the knowns and strikingly the unknowns.

Said, The American philosopher William James about the views of the science establishment amongst his Harvard colleagues a long time ago. I find his words so poignant that I present verbatim.

"Science has made such glorious leaps in the last 300 years that it is no wonder the worshippers lose their heads…I have heard more than one teacher say that all the fundamental conceptions of truths in science have been found and that the future has only the details of the picture to fill on. But the slightest reflection on the real conditions will suffice to show just how barbaric…crude…such notions are …whatever else be certain, this at least is. That the world of our present natural knowledge is enveloped in a larger world of some sort, of whose residual properties we, at present can frame no positive idea".

Over 100 years have passed since these statements. Has time not vindicated him?

Good luck with the camera they can be fairly complex nowadays...

Gayle said...

That picture looked pretty good to me, Goat!

Goat said...

Seth, yes our Ca north coast is something to behold, I have been to the "Lost Coast" a couple times.
Otto, I would think so.
Gayle, thanks but that was an easy one.

Batya said...

I'm amazed what comes out from my digital camera. People think I'm nuts when I shoot at glass, windows, mirrors etc, even indoors. Old cameras would just show a flash, but not now...